By Desmond Seward
A vintage account of the bloody contention among the dynasties of York and Lancaster for the throne of England.
During the 15th century England was once cut up in a bloody clash among the homes of York and Lancaster over who should still declare the crown. The civil wars ate up the total state in a chain of battles that finally observed the Tudor dynasty take energy. In A short heritage of the Wars of the Roses, Desmond Seward tells the tale of this complicated and hazardous interval of background throughout the lives of 5 women and men who skilled the clash first hand. In a gripping narrative the private trials of the significant characters interweave with the main occasions and personalities of 1 of the main major turning issues in British heritage.
Read or Download A Brief History of the Wars of the Roses (Brief Histories) PDF
Similar military history books
On 19 July 1916, within the northern French village of Fromelles, Australia suffered its worst-ever army defeat whilst a British officer ordered 15,000 of our greatest and bravest to head 'over the top' and assault the German traces. 8 hours later, greater than 5500 Diggers lay useless or wounded: the similar of all Australian casualties from the Boer, Korean and Vietnam wars mixed.
The most important ecu powers drafted warfare plans ahead of 1914 and carried out them in August 1914; none introduced the anticipated victory via Christmas. Why? This tightly targeted choice of essays by way of foreign specialists in army heritage reassesses the battle plans of 1914 in a wide diplomatic, army, and political environment for the 1st time in 3 many years.
- Order of battle of the United States land forces in the World War
- Gulf War Air Power Survey, Volume I: Planning and Command and Control
- Uniformes Militares De La Guerra Civil Espanola
- Okinawa: Two Postwar Novellas (Japan Research Monograph)
- War & Destiny: How the Bush Revolution in Foreign and Military Affairs Redefined American Power
Additional info for A Brief History of the Wars of the Roses (Brief Histories)
79 Hase, however, says 973 (Leo diac. 488); see Book X, n. 2 for discussion of the date. 80 See Book Χ , η η . 1 , 2 , 9 , and 47. 22 Introduction Thus the sequence of Leo's narrative, while it contains significant errors, differs in important respects from the approach of chronographers. The four specific dates and two regnal lengths clearly reflect his organizational principle, the reigns of emperors. His indications of change of seasons are primarily related to military campaigns, his primary focus, but are used inconsistently and in some instances are totally absent.
Romanos then dispatches Nikephoros Phokas to Asia Minor, where he is said to capture sixty Arab fortresses. , Lenten) deer-hunting expedition that exhausted the emperor, or ("as some say") to poisoning. Leo then describes the decision of the patriarch Polyeuktos and the senate to confer the imperium on Romanos's infant sons Basil and Constantine and their mother Theophano; Nikephoros's intent to seize the imperium himself, but to delay until he has regathered his army; the role of the parakoimomenos Joseph Bringas in opposing Phokas; Phokas's conversation with the patriarch Polyeuktos; and finally the patriarch's speech to the senate, which results in Nikephoros Phokas's reappointment as commander in Asia Minor, to the great displeasure of Joseph Bringas.
481. These are the only instances in which he specifically cites autopsy. 38 Given his indication of student status as late as 968 and hence his relative youth, it is clear that much of what he records was in fact based, not on autopsy, but on reports from others. In thirty-seven instances 39 Leo uses λέγεται ("it is said"), and in fifteen cases4" φασί(ν) ("they say"), to present information. 8). 2: "Some people say (φασί) that he suffered a fatal convulsion as a result... 2: "It is said (λέγεται) that on several previous occasions the Romans came to grief in .
A Brief History of the Wars of the Roses (Brief Histories) by Desmond Seward